Friday, November 21, 2008
My thoughts on Twilight...
Here are my thoughts on the movie: **SPOILER WARNING** I wouldn't recommend reading this until after you've seen the movie!
My overall excitement about seeing this movie was pretty much through the roof! However, having said that I went into it knowing it was a VERY low budget film.
Here are the things I didn't like:
1. The special effects were extremely lacking and I was disappointed in Edward's sparkling. My friend Anne summed it up with "He looks like a Christmas ornament!" However, we really can't expect much more for the budget this film had.
2. Which brings me to the meadow scene. It was much too short and severely lacking in any intimacy and sexual tension. There was no conversation, they didn't even touch each other! I mean that chapter in the book is what started it all people! I just didn't feel like it was done justice!
3. The overall pacing of the film seemed extremely fast. It felt like they were trying to cram too much in a 2 hour time slot. I could have done without several of the added scenes (ex. biology field trip) in order to have more time on the pivotal scenes...hello meadow! There wasn't nearly enough character development. They didn't even mention Jasper's abilities and left out his best line: "You're wrong you know..you are worth it!" Bella and Edwards relationship felt much too rushed. If I hadn't read the books I'm sure I would have been like " Are you kidding me...they're already declaring themselves?"
Now on to what I did like:
1. Can we say EYE CANDY!!!! All of the Cullens were beautiful!! I was a little worried about Jasper, but even he was drool worthy! Emmett and Carlisle are down right HOT!! Alice, Esme, and Rosalie were gorgeous. And Edward was PERFECT!! Robert Pattinson really embodied Edward...and those eyes...SEXY!!
2. Charlie was a very pleasant surprise. I thought he nailed the whole awkward father/daughter moments. The scene where Bella has to hurt her father in order for him to let her leave really was heartbreaking.
3. The humans were pretty good also. I just wish they would have developed Angela's character a bit more, because in the movie she is very forgettable, and I loved her in the books!
4. Finally to the most important part. Edward and Bella's chemistry was amazing!! Having read Midnight Sun I could actually feel Edward's pain as he is trying so hard to be close to Bella, yet fight the urge to kill her! As far as the kiss goes I'm not sure I was breathing during that scene. It was so well done. I think it's hands down the best on screen kiss ever! Edward was so hesitant and tender, yet incredibly passionate all at the same time. This alone was worth the price of admission!
So my final thoughts are this: Was it a bit cheesy? Yes. Did I care one bit? NO! I LOVED the books and I LIKED the movie. Here's hoping that this movie makes a ton of money so New Moon can have a budget worthy of making these great books into great movies!