Friday, March 8, 2013

Greyson's Birth Story




Today marks 2 weeks since you entered our world. You complete our family in so many ways and we all fall in love with you a little more each day. You have such a gentle, sweet, easygoing spirit about you. I feel so lucky to be the one you will call "mommy" someday.

The night you came started out like every other night. I was feeling tired so I went to bed at about 9:30, while daddy stayed up visiting with grandma and grandad. We were so thankful that they were in town to visit us and help out once you made your arrival! At around 11:30 I felt a pretty strong contraction that woke me up. I know that was Heavenly Father giving me a warning, because I got out of bed to use the restroom and noticed I was bleeding. I wasn't scared at first because the same thing happened when I was pregnant with your big brother London. Everything had gone smoothly and turned out perfect with him so I was confident it would be the same with you. I was excited because I knew my doctor would want to induce me and I would get to meet you soon! I already had my bag packed so daddy grabbed a few things and we were off to the hospital! I kept pushing on my belly on the way there to see if you would push back like you usually did. You must have been pretty tired because it took a while for you to give me the reassurance that all was well and you were ok. When we arrived at the hospital they hooked me up to the monitor and everything was going so smoothly. Your heartrate was perfect and my favorite doctor (Dr. Dave) was on call, and confirmed that he wanted to deliver you that night. I was so excited! Everything was going exactly as planned.

The nurses took off your monitor and moved us to our own private delivery room. As they were getting me all hooked up again Dr. Dave arrived. He walked into the room and took one look at the monitor and I could tell something was wrong. He asked the nurse if your heartrate had been that high the whole time? She confirmed that it had just started. He decided to go ahead and break my water and see how you tolerated that. When it broke it was mostly blood that came out. That was when Dr. Dave told us that he believed the placenta had detached and you were losing blood. We needed to get you out ASAP. I was so scared. I couldn't believe things could turn so bad in a matter of minutes. After that it was a flurry of activity. The nurses were having me sign forms 4 at a time, while someone else was getting me prepped for surgery. Everything was a blur and didn't seem real. It was probably a matter of 5 minutes and they had wheeled us into the operating room. It was quite the contrast to the warm, cozy delivery room I had envisioned you making your arrival in. I was so glad that I had the presence of mind to remind daddy to grab the camera...he was so worried he would have forgot it! Once we arrived in the OR they did a spinal block so I was completely numb and wouldn't feel a thing. They laid me down and prepped my body for surgery. Daddy arrived then in his scrubs and mask. All I could see was his eyes and they gave me the reassurance I needed.

Once they started the surgery daddy peeked over the curtain. He didn't want to miss your arrival and  surgery has always facsinated him. Dr. Dave was quick and precise and had you out in a matter of minutes. I was so happy when I heard your 1st cry! The nurses whisked you out of the room to check you and clean you up. Daddy never left your side. It was probably only 5 or 10 minutes that you were away, but it felt like forever. Other than a quick peek over the curtain I still hadn't really seen you. Finally, daddy came back with you all bundled up nice and warm in your blanket and hat. I finally got to lock eyes with you and kiss that sweet head of yours. I was so relieved that you were ok...that we were both ok.

Sweet baby Greyson, we are truly blessed to have you join our family. I can hardly believe you are 2 weeks old already. I just want to freeze time and soak up as many new baby snuggles I can. I know how fast it will go. It seems like yesterday that your biggest brother Logan was born. I'm so thankful that I get one more chance to truly cherish and enjoy all of the milestones that you will complete. Thank you Greyson for the priveledge of being your mommy.

We love you sweet boy!

Love,

Daddy, Mommy, Logan, Carson, and London

5 comments:

Andi said...

So sweet. And truly so glad that everyone is ok!

Mindi said...

I am so glad that both you and Greyson were okay. Wow, what a scary night. I love how you wrote that to him. What a good mommy you are. I can't wait to meet him!

Fran said...

What a treasure... Greyson won't need to wonder what it was like on the day he entered this world. So happy for the Stewart family to have this wonderful addition, Enjoy!!

Tawnya said...

He is so cute. I am so glad you guys are happy and healthy. I think we will need to make a special trip to meet the little guy. Congratulations!!!

Angie said...

We would love a visit! You are welcome anytime! :-)